Friday, April 25, 2014

April 25, 2014 - Friday

“Now fear the Lord and serve him with all faithfulness. Throw away the gods your ancestors worshiped beyond the Euphrates River and in Egypt, and serve the Lord. (Joshua 24:14)

Today as in the days of the Israelites, God continues to demonstrate his existence, power, authority, worthiness, and interest in us, and in return he asks us to commit ourselves to serving him.  But for so many reasons, we just seem to find this incredibly difficult to do.

He asks us to throw away our other gods.  And maybe that is part of our reluctance.  What is it that I worship.  Do I worship money?  If money is my god, the Lord asks me to worship him instead.  Do I worship sports?  If sports is my god, the Lord asks me to worship and serve him instead.  Do I worship relaxation above all else?  If relaxation is my god, the Lord asks me to choose to serve him instead.

The choice itself is not difficult, but following through on it takes a lifetime of practice, false starts, and regular renewal of the commitment each day.

After safely bringing the Israelites through many battles and settling them into the promised land of Canaan, the Lord asked them to choose to serve him.  Joshua agreed to this saying, "But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.”

Today, like Joshua, I will again renew my choice to serve God.

No comments:

Post a Comment