Monday, May 16, 2016

May 16, 2016 - Monday

Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show his works by a good life in the humility that comes from wisdom.
But if you have bitter jealousy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast and be false to the truth.
Wisdom of this kind does not come down from above but is earthly, unspiritual, demonic. (James 3:13-15 NABRE)

Think of all the self-help books available to us these days. A quick search of Amazon turns up nearly half a million to choose from! Yet, look at the practical time-tested guidance freely available to us right in God's Word.

Today, I'm going to do something for someone else without seeking any benefit for myself--financial, emotional, or any other type. And I'll encourage one other person to do the same. Now think of all the good we will do if you join me!

I believe our actions can lead us to wisdom, understanding, and so much more when we act for others. I believe our actions can lead us to happiness and joy when we act deliberately in Jesus' name rather than our own name.


Today, on this Monday of the Seventh Week in Ordinary Time, I will seek to avoid boasting about my own work and to speak only truth.


Saint Margaret of Cortona, who, somewhat like St. Augustine, prayed for purity—but not just yet, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment