Tuesday, May 31, 2016

May 31, 2016 - Tuesday

Do not grow slack in zeal, be fervent in spirit, serve the Lord.
Rejoice in hope, endure in affliction, persevere in prayer. (Romans 12:11-12 NABRE)

Saint Paul writes of the many ways we can show mutual love to one another as Christian believers. Continuing the theme of good and practical advice from God's Word, today's passage strikes deep into my own heart. I find it encouraging to think that even in the earliest days of the Church believers struggled with the same challenges I am struggling with right now.

I often need to choose consciously to be enthusiastic about the Lord's purpose for my life.

I need to decide daily to be passionate in spirit...though honestly it is sometimes just a matter of slowing down the chaos in my mind.

And I constantly need to prompt myself toward service. Just like Saint Paul. There is no doubt in my mind that his words are not based solely on his observations of others in Rome, but based also on his own heart, his own inclination to grow weary, and his own need to overcome great discouragement.

So look at his technique for raising our spiritual intensity. Paul tells us to rejoice, because of the hope we have been given by our faith. Paul tells us to endure in affliction, and I tell you to push beyond mere endurance by offering up your suffering as a sacrificial prayer for others in need. And Paul tells us to persevere in prayer. Even when it seems they are going unanswered, we have the greatest opportunity of all to experience God's grace, by continuing to pray confident in his mercy and love, certain that his timing and his answer--even when unexpected--are perfect.


Today, on this Feast of the Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary, I will


Mary, Ark of the Covenant, pray for us.

Source: https://www.catholicculture.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment