Thursday, September 1, 2016

September 1, 2016 - Thursday

Let no one deceive himself. If any one among you considers himself wise in this age, let him become a fool so as to become wise.
For the wisdom of this world is foolishness in the eyes of God, for it is written:
“He catches the wise in their own ruses,”
and again:
“The Lord knows the thoughts of the wise, that they are vain.” (1 Corinthians 3:18-20 NABRE)

In my mind, these words of Saint Paul add to those of Isaiah the prophet who spoke these words:

For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
nor are your ways my ways—oracle of the LORD.
For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways,
my thoughts higher than your thoughts. (Isaiah 55:8-9)

Intellectual certainty worries me when it depends only on the observable and repeatable physical phenomena of this creation. It includes, in my thinking, those who would close themselves to possibilities simply because they have not yet encountered a proof which appears to have a sufficient basis in fact.

When we close ourselves to mystery, we resist God. We resist truth that exceeds fact. We often dig in and push against even our own experience at times. Why?

The essence and simple opportunity which Jesus offers you and I is this: If we will just trust in him, rather than in our own limited thinking, he will be there for us! Free. Anytime. Right now!

And so if your days get difficult, take Jesus' free gift when he says, “Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest." (Matthew 11:28) He will keep his promise!


Today, I will welcome the opportunity to be considered a fool in order to gain wisdom.


Saint Giles, patron of beggars and the disabled, pray for us.


There are just 13 days remaining in this shared prayer journey of ours. Please continue to join your prayers with mine here, for a daily minute of reflection. As Jesus said, "For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them." (Matthew 18:20) Though we gather together online, may our joining here reflect our deep desire to have Jesus in our midst.

No comments:

Post a Comment