Monday, September 5, 2016

September 5, 2016 - Monday

LORD, guide me in your justice because of my foes;
make straight your way before me. (Psalm 5:9 NABRE)

When I pray, it seems more often than not I am asking the Lord for some help. As I read Psalm 5, I notice that David does this as well. Here, he asks for guidance and direction in the face of the evils of this world, something I also need so often.  Lord, give me guidance and direction today.

David was surrounded by, and aware of, great evil. It moved around him, we might say, in men who did wicked and violent things, were arrogant, liars and cheats. Deeply aware of this, and how it could affect him, he calls on the Lord to protect not only himself, but all who trust in God.

Psalm 5, this song of David is a lament contrasting the security of the house of God with the danger of the company of evildoers. The psalmist therefore prays that God will hear and grant the protection and joy of the Temple.*

We can sense the near desperation in David's tone, and the certainty of protection which his trust in God brings. Lord, grant me the grace to trust in you even when I am surrounded by evil and suffering.


Today, I will pray the rosary for Pope Francis, his intentions, and for the Church.


Saint Teresa of Calcutta, declared a saint yesterday, whose love for the Eucharist, for prayer and for the poor gives us a model to emulate, pray for us.


There are just 9 days remaining in this shared prayer journey of ours. Please continue to join your prayers with mine here, for a daily minute of reflection. As Jesus said, "For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them." (Matthew 18:20) Though we gather together online, may our joining here reflect our deep desire to have Jesus in our midst.



biography.com

No comments:

Post a Comment