Monday, September 12, 2016

September 12, 2016 - Monday

Sacrifice and offering you do not want;
you opened my ears.
Holocaust and sin-offering you do not request;
so I said, “See; I come
with an inscribed scroll written upon me.
I delight to do your will, my God;
your law is in my inner being!” (Psalm 40:7-9 NABRE)

The Psalmist hits on an idea in today's passage that obedience is better than sacrifice.* And yet, the two are linked in Christ's sacrifice of his own body as a complete repayment for all our sins.

So what is it that God wants from me? I like the references which are somewhat "between the lines" of today's passage. David tells us that God has implanted his law within each of us and he wants us to pay attention to it.

And so, to know ourselves means to recognize our weaknesses and our inclination to turn away from God, and then to take decisive action based on what God places on our hearts to help us work against our weaknesses.

Lord my God, help me to push against my own weaknesses and shortcomings. I know them and they are many. By your Spirit, guide me, lead me, push me in the direction of your will. Expose to me all my selfish thoughts, my hurtful words, and my destructive actions so that I might reject them, turn my effort to you, and change the harmful patterns of my life. Lord, I say I want a relationship with you, but so often I reject you and your call. I am not good at being obedient. Thank you for your patience with me. Thank you for your encouragement. I will join David in opening my ears to what you have written on my heart.


Today, I will pray the rosary for peace and healing among all people.


On this Feast of the Most Holy Name of the Blessed Virgin, Mary, please pray for us.


There are just 2 days remaining in this shared prayer journey of ours. Please continue to join your prayers with mine here, for a daily minute of reflection. As Jesus said, "For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them." (Matthew 18:20) Though we gather together online, may our joining here reflect our deep desire to have Jesus in our midst.

No comments:

Post a Comment