Sunday, September 4, 2016

September 4, 2016 - Sunday

If any one comes to me without hating his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple.
Whoever does not carry his own cross and come after me cannot be my disciple.
In the same way, everyone of you who does not renounce all his possessions cannot be my disciple. (Luke 14:26-7, 33 NABRE)

Jesus' words to the great crowds travelling with him are stark, jarring, even harsh and uncompromising. This collection of sayings, most of which are peculiar to Luke, focuses on the total dedication necessary for the disciple of Jesus. No attachment to family or possessions can stand in the way of the total commitment demanded of the disciple. Also, acceptance of the call to be a disciple demands readiness to accept persecution and suffering and a realistic assessment of the hardships and costs.* The disciple’s family must take second place to the absolute dedication involved in following Jesus.*

Lord Jesus, show me how to balance my life, to answer your call, and to live in such a way that you desire. Unite my heart with my actions so that I might not be distracted from you. Join my will to my words in such a way that I will never forget the Father's divine will. Help me, Jesus, to see the attachments of this world for what they truly are, gifts from you. May I see your light in each gift, each person, each moment, each little joy. May they all be a small foretaste of the joy of your eternal presence. And may I not place my trust and confidence in the attachments of this world, creating idols for myself and placing them ahead of you. I thank you, Jesus, for the challenge of your words. Help me to live today as your disciple in my place and time.


Today, I will remember that each person I encounter is a gift to me from God.


Saint Rose of Viterbo, eighteen-year-old whose dying words to her parents were, "I die with joy, for I desire to be united to my God. Live so as not to fear death. For those who live well in the world, death is not frightening, but sweet and precious," pray for us.


There are just 10 days remaining in this shared prayer journey of ours. Please continue to join your prayers with mine here, for a daily minute of reflection. As Jesus said, "For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them." (Matthew 18:20) Though we gather together online, may our joining here reflect our deep desire to have Jesus in our midst.

No comments:

Post a Comment