Tuesday, November 17, 2015

November 17, 2015 - Tuesday

When he was about to die under the blows, he groaned, saying: “The Lord in his holy knowledge knows full well that, although I could have escaped death, I am not only enduring terrible pain in my body from this scourging, but also suffering it with joy in my soul because of my devotion to him.” (Maccabees 6:30 NABRE)

"He" was Eleazar, a man described as "one of the foremost scribes, a man advanced in age and of noble appearance." (2 Maccabees 6:18) The story of his martyrdom was written to encourage God’s people in times of persecution.*

As we know all too well these days, living a life of faith has always taken a great deal of courage. In every generation, there have been those who actively seek to do harm to people of faith.

Lord Jesus, show me how to live a courageous life of faith. Grant me the grace I need in moments of trial to maintain my integrity as Eleazar did and as you did. And protect me from such dangers. Lord, I pray for faithfulness and courage for myself, for my family, and for all who trust in you. I pray also for those who would inflict harm on someone else because of their faith in you. We are all your children, Lord God, and we ache for the day when we will see an end to such things.


Today, I will pray for courage and faithfulness, and for forgiveness for those times I let fear rule in my heart.


Saint Elizabeth of Hungary, patron of bakers, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment