Saturday, November 28, 2015

November 28, 2015 - Saturday

“Beware that your hearts do not become drowsy from carousing and drunkenness and the anxieties of daily life, and that day catch you by surprise like a trap. For that day will assault everyone who lives on the face of the earth.
Be vigilant at all times and pray that you have the strength to escape the tribulations that are imminent and to stand before the Son of Man.” (Luke 21:34-36 NABRE)

There is a worship song titled I Can Only Imagine which describes the overwhelming moment when the singer first meets Jesus. The song is concerned with how the singer might feel in that moment, the lyrics posing questions like, What will my heart feel? / Will I dance for your Jesus or in awe of you be still? / Will I stand in your presence or to my knees will I fall? / Will I sing hallelujah? / Will I be able to speak at all?




By contrast, in today's passage, Jesus speaks about the challenging times just before his return. He speaks in concrete terms about difficulties and how to avoid them. For those who will experience these times of tribulation--and we do not know if it will be us, Jesus gives specific directions:

  • Do not become drowsy from carousing and drunkenness and the anxieties of daily life
  • Be vigilant at all times and pray that you have strength

Today, I will take Jesus' direction, practicing these while maintaining a spirit of awe in my heart.


Saint James of the Marche, who wanted the word of God to take root in the hearts of you listeners, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment