Saturday, December 26, 2015

December 26, 2015 - Saturday

But beware of people, for they will hand you over to courts and scourge you in their synagogues,
and you will be led before governors and kings for my sake as a witness before them and the pagans.
When they hand you over, do not worry about how you are to speak or what you are to say. You will be given at that moment what you are to say.
For it will not be you who speak but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you. (Matthew 10:17-20 NABRE)

Have you ever worried about having the right words to say as you anticipate a difficult conversation? Jesus sent the twelve out to preach with a warning and a comfort. He told them to expect resistance and persecution for the message they were to share, but he also told them not to worry about finding the right words. The Spirit of God would speak through them.

Similarly, in Exodus (4:11-12), "The LORD said to [Moses]: Who gives one person speech? Who makes another mute or deaf, seeing or blind? Is it not I, the LORD? Now go, I will assist you in speaking and teach you what you are to say.

When the young prophet Jeremiah said, “Ah, Lord GOD!...I do not know how to speak. I am too young!” the Lord said to him, "Do not say, 'I am too young.' To whomever I send you, you shall go; whatever I command you, you shall speak. Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you to deliver you. (Jeremiah 1:6-8)

And in Luke's gospel, Jesus expresses it this way: When they take you before synagogues and before rulers and authorities, do not worry about how or what your defense will be or about what you are to say. For the holy Spirit will teach you at that moment what you should say. (Luke 12:11-12)


Today, I will put aside the worry, fear, and hesitation that seem to come with God's sending me to act in ways that are pleasing to him, confident in the Spirit's presence and impact during difficult conversations.


Saint Stephen, who, even as you died, kept your eyes trustfully fixed on God, and with a prayer of forgiveness on your lips, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment