Sunday, December 6, 2015

December 6, 2015 - Sunday

For God has commanded
that every lofty mountain
and the age-old hills be made low,
That the valleys be filled to make level ground,
that Israel may advance securely in the glory of God.
The forests and every kind of fragrant tree
have overshadowed Israel at God’s command;
For God is leading Israel in joy
by the light of his glory,
with the mercy and justice that are his. (Baruch 5:7-9 NABRE)

Have you ever felt lost, lonely, or even abandoned? And amid this most empty, frightening, sinking and devastating feeling, have you ever then realized it was your own fault--that something you said or did directly caused the circumstance that brought you your present suffering?

What a humbling experience that is! So humiliating in fact that it can overwhelm us to the point of denial. But if we resist becoming overwhelmed. If we resist denial. If instead, we can seek to be humble before God, we (sometimes very) gradually become better able to acknowledge our own faults--those times we offend him by our actions and omissions--and responsibilities. By this intentional humility we experience surprising strength to turn to him for mercy. And when we do this, when we turn to God for mercy, he always welcomes us back.

God is merciful and he wants us to turn to him always, especially when we are most at fault.

One of my favorite metaphors for life is that of walking a path toward God in the dark. He provides the light, but only in a very small area surrounding where I currently stand. When I look forward it is dark. When I look to the right or to the left it is dark. Even looking back along the path I've walked, things have dimmed and are quickly difficult to see. It is only in the circle of light, in the present moment, I can see the path. My only task then is to rely on the light and remain on the path. Every step I take that moves me forward is confirmed because the light remains with me, and if I test the edges of the light in any direction, the darkness is actually frightening.

In today's passage, God prepares the path back to Jerusalem for those who were exiled, and he does it in dramatic fashion! For his people, he levels mountains, raises valleys, and shades them on their way.


Today, I will remember that God is always preparing the path ahead of me to return home to him.


Saint Nicholas, fourth-century bishop of Myra, patron of many and especially children, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment