Tuesday, July 19, 2016

July 19, 2016 - Tuesday

But he said in reply to the one who told him, “Who is my mother? Who are my brothers?”
And stretching out his hand toward his disciples, he said, “Here are my mother and my brothers.
For whoever does the will of my heavenly Father is my brother, and sister, and mother.” (Matthew 12:48-50 NABRE)

Jesus calls us family!

When we do the will of the Father, we become his family. Think about family for just a minute right now,, so many memories, emotions, and stories and each of our human families is different. We have different values and beliefs. We have different rituals and routines. But all families share one trait, that uniquely intimate knowledge of one another born of time spent together.

With Jesus, we are all one family. We can know him as a brother.

And so, during this time of deep unrest in our country, perhaps we can each make a difference if we look at each other as a true brother or sister. Perhaps we can restrain the anger and judgment that wash over us, the self-righteousness that drowns us. If we look at each other as family, aware of our common brother, Jesus, maybe we can focus on removing logs from our own eyes rather than splinters from our siblings' because that is what our brother asks us to do.


Today, I will look to see Jesus in every single person I encounter.


Saint Mary MacKillop, who said, "Have courage no matter what your crosses are," pray for us.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_MacKillop

No comments:

Post a Comment