Wednesday, July 27, 2016

July 27, 2016 - Wednesday

I no longer call you slaves, because a slave does not know what his master is doing. I have called you friends, because I have told you everything I have heard from my Father. (John 15:15 NABRE)

In the Old Testament, Moses, Joshua, and David were called “servants” or “slaves of Yahweh;” only Abraham was called a “friend of God.”*

And to us, his friends, Jesus describes the Kingdom of God this way: "Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant searching for fine pearls. When he finds a pearl of great price, he goes and sells all that he has and buys it." (Matthew 13:45-46

What immeasureable value! And yet, we can find the kingdom as the merchant does. We have access to it, but we need to seek it. We can only encounter it after we begin looking for it, and that requires a change of heart.

Though seeking will be satisfied, we are not promised comfort and success. No. Even those to whom God reveals himself struggle in this life. Consider Jeremiah, a prophet of the Lord, who at one point cried out, "Woe to me, my mother, that you gave me birth!" (Jeremiah 15:10) Or King David, who had to constantly remember God's protection because he was surrounded by many enemies, who said, "For you are my fortress, my refuge in time of trouble." (Psalm 59:18)

In this life we struggle. Yet, when we seek the Lord, we catch a glimpse of his kingdom. And when that happens, everything changes! Let's be friends with Jesus.


Today, I will change my heart and seek God's kingdom.


Blessed Antonio Lucci, Eighteenth-Century bishop and theologian who encouraged gospel living and dedicated your small income to works of education and charity, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment