Saturday, July 23, 2016

July 23, 2016 - Saturday

My soul yearns and pines
for the courts of the LORD.
My heart and flesh cry out
for the living God.
As the sparrow finds a home
and the swallow a nest to settle her young,
My home is by your altars,
LORD of hosts, my king and my God! (Psalm 84:3-4 NABRE)

The Psalm expresses the sentiments of pilgrims eager to enjoy the divine presence. The desire of a restless bird for a secure home is an image of the desire of a pilgrim for the secure house of God.*

Remembering that each of us is a spiritual creature with a physical dimension, we see the Psalmist sing about his soul yearning for what he knows will satisfy his deepest needs, to be with God.

As spiritual creatures, we are able to experience some measure of relationship with God in this life, as we await a full relationship with him in the next. Because the very Spirit of God makes his home within us, we become like the sparrow who has found its nest.


Today, I will look to see Jesus in every person I encounter.


Saint Bridget, who saw no contradiction between mystical experience and secular activity, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment