Monday, February 2, 2015

February 2, 2015 - Monday

Because he himself was tested through what he suffered, he is able to help those who are being tested. (Hebrews 2:18 NABRE)

The easiest thing to forget about Jesus is that he suffered far more completely than most of us ever will even in our most painful moments. Why does it matter? Because it is when we suffer that so many of us either get angry at God or decide there is no God.

And yet, look at the example of Jesus. Notice his reaction to the unendurable suffering he faced. Jesus looked to God and prayed. He offered his suffering for others. Even when he felt abandoned while on that cross, he did not get angry at God or lose faith.

Lord Jesus, you came to redeem us by your suffering. You understand my pain. Help me to remember your boundless love and mercy, especially in those moments when it seems to make more sense to blame you for my discomforts than to trust you. When I feel pain or loss or discomfort, lead me first to prayer, and prompt me by your Spirit to join my suffering with yours, no matter how large or small it is, for the benefit of others.


Today, on this Feast of the Presentation of the Lord, I will offer my suffering as a sacrifice for others who cannot pray for themselves.


Saint Simeon, in attendance at the Presentation of the Lord, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment