Thursday, February 5, 2015

February 5, 2015 - Thursday

He summoned the Twelve and began to send them out two by two and gave them authority over unclean spirits.
He instructed them to take nothing for the journey but a walking stick—no food, no sack, no money in their belts.
They were, however, to wear sandals but not a second tunic. (Mark 6:7-9 NABRE)

Imagine how these new Apostles must have felt when Jesus sent them out into the local villages to preach and to cast out demons and to heal the sick. I wonder how hesitant they were, or if maybe they rushed off in a frenzy of bold excitement. I wonder how reluctant they might have been, or if they were carried of in their enthusiasm because of what they knew about Jesus already. I wonder if they delayed leaving, asking questions of Jesus about details, or if they just stood up, paired off, and started walking with nothing but their walking sticks and instructions.

Have you ever had to totally depend on God in order to make it through a decision, a trial, or a new challenge? Have you ever faced something for which you were completely unprepared? What was it? How did it feel before you began? How did it feel after everything was completed?

Lord Jesus, I admire the trust your Apostles placed in you because I know how frighening it can be to start new things that are personally risky. I look to the Apostles' willingness to follow you despite the potential risks. Lord, when you call me to do something in your name, grant me that same quality of trust and that same unquestioning willingness to go where you send me. How powerful you are! Thank you for providing all I will need whenever you send me out into the world. And thank you for the moments after your task is completed, when I am able to glimpse something of your kingdom in this world.


Today, I will take nothing with me as I go into this day, confident that God will provide everything I need--it is him who sends me, and so I will go.


Saint Agatha, virgin and martyr, patron of nurses, foundry workers, and against breast disease, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment