Monday, February 9, 2015

February 9, 2015 - Monday

For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me,
naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me. (Matthew 25:35-36 NABRE)

As Pope Francis points out, Christian love is concrete. True love expresses itself in action. Today is the second day of National Marriage Week 2015, and it is worthwhile to recognize that "the love between Christian spouses should not rely on romantic feelings alone. Words and affectionate language have their place, but actions speak volumes as well. Christian love is marked by selflessness. It seeks to give rather than receive. Spouses are called to love in this way: to give to their spouse in the practical happenings of everyday life."*

We do things for others, often sacrificing our own wants for the benefit of those who need something. We should not forget this within our marriages. Married love can be expressed in words and romantic gestures, but it also needs to find expression in self giving.

Lord, thank you for blessing our marriage and for continually renewing our marriage covenant. May it always be a reflection of the union of Christ with his Church, and may we continue to know your love for us more and more each day by the way we treat each other. 

Today, I will show my love by my actions.


Saint Apollonia, patron of dentists, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment