Sunday, February 22, 2015

February 22, 2015 - Sunday

Make known to me your ways, LORD;
teach me your paths.
Guide me by your fidelity and teach me,
for you are God my savior,
for you I wait all the day long. (Psalm 25:4-5 NABRE)

Travelling the road of life alone is impossible. Each of us realizes this at some point. It is self-evident (though not often obvious). None of us can long survive without other people, and it is in our relationships that we can see the Lord's guiding hand, if we are open to seeing it. Today's verse is a little song-prayer of King David, and by praying it (even repeating it like a song refrain or chant), we can start to open ourselves to the possibility that we do not control as much of our own destiny as we think.

Just like this ancient king who knew he needed the Lord, each of us depends on the Lord's compassion, mercy, and goodness. And so, if we simply acknowledge him, and ask for his guidance and forgiveness, he will never fail to answer us. Today, on this first Sunday of Lent, maybe it is the right time to expect an answer!

Lord, you are great and above all things. Please forgive each thought and action of mine which has turned my heart away from you. Show me your path for my life. Every now and then, give me a glimpse of your plan for me so that I might not lose heart. And more, as my life goes on, day after day, stretching across the years, let me continue to glimpse your plan so that I might understand that you are faithful to me through time, and have gone on far longer than my brief life. Help me to recall your greatness and my smallness, so that I might live humbly and dependent upon your providence.


Today, I will look to see God's guidance for me in the relationships I have with all the people in my life.


Saint Joseph, husband of Mary and foster father of Jesus, pray for us.
Saint Peter, chosen by Jesus to sit in his place as the servant-authority of the whole Church, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment