Friday, February 20, 2015

February 20, 2015 - Friday

Is this not, rather, the fast that I choose:
releasing those bound unjustly,
untying the thongs of the yoke;
Setting free the oppressed,
breaking off every yoke?
Is it not sharing your bread with the hungry,
bringing the afflicted and the homeless into your house;
Clothing the naked when you see them,
and not turning your back on your own flesh? (Isaiah 58:5-6 NABRE)

In today's verse, God tells us through the prophet Isaiah that the act of fasting, itself, has no meaning to him. In fact, he tells us it can distract us from what does matter to him, making it sinful instead of acceptable as an offering.

We understand that fasting is not genuine without reforming one’s way of life. God wants our fasting to be genuine. He wants us to change ourselves by our fast. He wants us to change our world by our fast, creating a true social morality based on his Word, one that can ensure prosperity.* Our fasting should lead us to action!

Jesus clearly echos Isaiah's words in Matthew's account of the Last Judgement (Mt 25:31-45). By doing so, Jesus links genuine fasting to salvation.

Lord Jesus, help me to endure the small discomforts of my Lenten fast, joining them to your unimaginable suffering on the cross, making my fast acceptable to you as an offering for the conversion of the hearts and souls of the lost and struggling in this world. Show me where I need to reform my way of life. Lead me to genuine change and provide me opportunities to help others who are bound unjustly, oppressed, hungry, afflicted, naked, or in need. I ask this so that I might become less while you become more, through me, in this world you created.


Today, I will be thankful for the great gift of fasting, and I will pray to discern new ways to take action on behalf of others in need.


Saint Joseph, husband of Mary and foster father of Jesus, pray for us.

Blesseds Jacinta and Francisco Marto, who received apparitions of Our Lady at Cova da Iria, near Fatima, Portugal in 1917, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment