Tuesday, April 12, 2016

April 12, 2016 - Tuesday

“You stiff-necked people, uncircumcised in heart and ears, you always oppose the holy Spirit; you are just like your ancestors.
Which of the prophets did your ancestors not persecute? They put to death those who foretold the coming of the righteous one, whose betrayers and murderers you have now become.
You received the law as transmitted by angels, but you did not observe it.” (Acts 7:51-53 NABRE)

Responding to God's call is a high-risk choice! There seems to be something deep in our human nature that resists what God offers us. And this resistance isn't only expressed individually, it is often expressed by society. As Stephen points out, moments before he is stoned to death, this has been the case among God's people since the earliest of times.

And today, those of us who call ourselves believers are wise to learn from our spiritual ancestors' mistakes. Stephen gives us an idea where to begin. I ask myself: How do I recognize my own stubborn opposition to the holy Spirit? How do I see my own reluctance to accept others who act in Jesus' name? How do I admit my own unwillingness to observe God's instruction? And how do we do these things as a society?

Individually, there are several ways to overcome the temptations described. First, by prayer and sacrifice, I can ask for awareness, both of the actions of the holy Spirit in my life and my responses to them. The type of prayer needed does not require memorization or ritual. Rather, prayer of this nature needs only quietness of heart on a consistent basis. Sacrifice is a way to help free myself of the distractions of this life, and many have experienced it as amplifying the effectiveness of prayer.

Second, I can decide each day to pay attention to each moment, to the events, encounters, and issues I face, and to my response to each one. This is a real challenge and takes some effort at first. It can be helpful to keep a tactile reminder in your pocket or desk. Each time you see or feel it, just take notice of your present circumstance, and reflect on your reaction to what is going on. Is it what you want it to be? What would you want to change for next time?

And finally, as a society, each one of us has a share in making this a better world. There are so many ways to do it, but as a simple starting point, consider the Corporal Works of Mercy. They are profound despite their apparent simplicity, and powerful despite their apparent ordinariness.


Today, I will pray for awareness of my own resistance to God.


Saint Teresa of Los Andes, whose focus on prayer and sacrifice led you to write in your diary, “I am God’s. He created me and is my beginning and my end,” pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment