Sunday, April 24, 2016

April 24, 2016 - Sunday

My children, I will be with you only a little while longer. You will look for me, and as I told the Jews, ‘Where I go you cannot come,’ so now I say it to you.
I give you a new commandment: love one another. As I have loved you, so you also should love one another.
This is how all will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.” (John 13:33-35 NABRE)

At the Last Supper, just after Judas left to betray Jesus, this is how Jesus spoke to the remaining disciples.

It is fascinating (maybe even one of those aha moments for a few who were present) that his new commandment puts Jesus on a par with Yahweh. Actually, the commandment itself is not new. It is a restatement of Leviticus 19:18.*

This admonition to love your neighbor as yourself came to be viewed in Judaism and Christianity as one of the central commandments.  Beyond that, the New Testament urges love for enemies as well as neighbors.*


Today, on this Fifth Sunday of Easter, I will work to act with love toward others.


Saint Fidelis of Sigmaringen, whose constant prayer was that you be kept completely faithful to God and not give in to any lukewarmness or apathy, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment