Tuesday, July 14, 2015

July 14, 2015 - Tuesday

Save me, God,
for the waters have reached my neck.
I have sunk into the mire of the deep,
where there is no foothold.
I have gone down to the watery depths;
the flood overwhelms me. (Psalm 69:2-3 NABRE)

The waters of chaos from which God created the world are a common metaphor for extreme distress.* In today's passage from Psalm 69, we read of David's great distress as his enemies are all around him. If you have a few minutes read all of Psalm 69 today and recall Jesus' suffering.

The Psalm, which depicts the suffering of the innocent just person vividly, is cited often by the New Testament especially in the passion accounts. The Psalm prays not so much for personal vengeance as for public vindication of God’s justice. There was, at this time, no belief in an afterlife where such vindication could take place. Redress had to take place now, in the sight of all.*


Today, I will place my own small suffering at the foot of the cross as an offering for anyone who suffers though innocent.


Saint Kateri Tekakwitha, who said: “I am not my own; I have given myself to Jesus," pray for us.
Saint Francis Solano, who reminds us to make our lives worthy of our Baptism, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment