Friday, July 31, 2015

July 31, 2015 - Friday

And they took offense at him. But Jesus said to them, “A prophet is not without honor except in his native place and in his own house.”
And he did not work many mighty deeds there because of their lack of faith.  (Matthew 13:57-58 NABRE)

The proverb, "Familiarity breeds contempt." is generally interpreted to mean, "Extensive knowledge of or close association with someone leads to a loss of respect for them."* In today's passage, Jesus experiences this when he returns to his hometown to teach in the synagogue. His neighbors, the people who knew him only as the son of Joseph the carpenter, were offended that he would presume to instruct them about the ways of God.

Jesus, thank you for teaching me and for taking action in my life. Thank you for the awareness I've known which convinces me of your presence--the ability, the grace really, to recognize your voice and your hand in small things and familiar events. Keep me mindful of your unending love for me and divine mercy as I trip along the path this day. Hold me up, sustain me, and protect me along the way. 


Today, I will look for Jesus in each person, each event, each moment.


Saint Ignatius of Loyola, founder of the Jesuits and whose spirituality is expressed in the Jesuit motto, for the greater glory of God, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment