Friday, July 17, 2015

July 17, 2015 - Friday

I say to you, something greater than the temple is here.
If you knew what this meant, ‘I desire mercy, not sacrifice,’ you would not have condemned these innocent men.
For the Son of Man is Lord of the sabbath.” (Matthew 12:6-8 NABRE)

Jesus quotes the prophet Hosea (6:6) to the Pharisees when they challenge him, perceiving that his disciples had broken one of the sabbath laws. By his reference to Hosea, he argues that the law itself requires work that breaks the sabbath rest, because of the higher duty of temple service.*  The Pharisees had begun looking for a way put Jesus to death. This probing is just one of their entrapment attempts.

Lord Jesus, thank you for this day. Thank you for this moment--not the last one, not the next one, but this one. In this moment, I am grateful to be encountering you as the unconquerable man that you are, by your divine nature. I am humbled by your presence. I welcome your Spirit into this moment with me. May your presence sanctify my thoughts and words, my actions and intentions, leading me forward through the rest of this day.


Today, I will seek to encounter Jesus in each moment.


Servant of God Francis Garcés and Companions, Franciscan missionaries and North American martyrs, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment