Thursday, July 16, 2015

July 16, 2015 - Thursday

“But,” said Moses to God, “if I go to the Israelites and say to them, ‘The God of your ancestors has sent me to you,’ and they ask me, ‘What is his name?’ what do I tell them?”
God replied to Moses: I am who I am. Then he added: This is what you will tell the Israelites: I AM has sent me to you. (Exodus 3:13-14 NABRE)

Have you ever been in a room of people you've never met, for a meeting of any sort, and had the leader suggest everyone introduce themselves? Inevitably, as each person speaks, the room falls into a rhythm and after just a couple of people take their turn, each subsequent speaker announces their name in the same pattern as the first two. Cadence aligns. Tone of voice aligns. The group takes on a certain unity. Not that this relates directly to Moses' encounter with God, but it is interesting to consider how we announce ourselves in new situations.

In today's passage, we encounter the creator of all things in conversation with Moses, to whom he has just given a daunting mission. The divine being names himself. Our translation has his name as "I am who I am" or "I AM." There is so much we could consider about such a name, but most prominent to me is the way it tells of God's creative nature. How, not only did he create all that is, he IS.


Today, I will be grateful the he who IS desires to know me personally, and I will seek to respond willingly and joyfully to his call on my day.


Our Lady of Mount Carmel, patron of Chile, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment