Monday, July 27, 2015

July 27, 2015 - Monday

As he drew near the camp, he saw the calf and the dancing. Then Moses’ anger burned, and he threw the tablets down and broke them on the base of the mountain. (Exodus 32:19 NABRE)

We have incredibly short attention spans, and we are easily distracted by shiny objects! So, when Moses came down the mountain to find the Israelites worshiping a golden calf that they had made, his anger flared. When he saw the quickness with which they lost focus on where he had gone and what they were doing at the mountain, he realized immediately that they had offended the one true God with a false god.

Many years later, the Psalms recall this event this way: At Horeb they fashioned a calf, worshiped a metal statue. They exchanged their glory for the image of a grass-eating bull. (Psalm 106:19-20)

Lord, our God, keep us mindful of your presence among us. Don't let us go too long in darkness before returning a Moses to us to remind us we have forgotten about you again. Lord, save me from idols in my life--the golden calves I make and use to entertain myself, to prop myself up, and to try and fill the often deep longing I have for something greater than I can even explain. I am a desperate creature, misled and confused, prone to focus on the trivialities of this world--money, self-determination, success, entertainment. I do this because I become tired and worn as I journey, forgetting at times to keep my focus on your whispered voice, calling me forward and reminding me of my heavenly purpose.


Today, I will focus on keeping humble in each moment, conscious that only God deserves my praise.


Blessed Antonio Lucci, 18th century bishop known for holiness and learning, pray for us.
:

No comments:

Post a Comment