Thursday, July 9, 2015

July 9, 2015 - Thursday

“I am Joseph,” he said to his brothers. “Is my father still alive?” But his brothers could give him no answer, so dumbfounded were they at him.
“Come closer to me,” Joseph told his brothers. When they had done so, he said: “I am your brother Joseph, whom you sold into Egypt.
But now do not be distressed, and do not be angry with yourselves for having sold me here. It was really for the sake of saving lives that God sent me here ahead of you. (Genesis 45:3-5 NABRE)

When Joseph, youngest son of Jacob, reveals himself to his older brothers, he is second only to Pharaoh in Egypt. Some time before, his brothers had been jealous of him and sold him into slavery to get rid of him. And now they find themselves in the awkward position, while trying to arrange for food, of recognizing their brother has become their benefactor.

God raised Joseph from an impossibly bleak situation to a leader of many. He raised him from slavery to lordship. He brought him from having control over nothing to control over all.

Lord God, please use me as you did Joseph, in every circumstance of my life. Though I must travel an unknown path, may I recognize by your Spirit that it was really for the sake of saving lives that God sent me here.


Today, I will pray for families struggling with jealousies, that good may come from such trials.


Saint Augustine Zhao Rong and Companions, 120 mostly Chinese-born martyrs canonized in Rome in 2000, pray for us.



No comments:

Post a Comment