Thursday, April 16, 2015

April 16, 2015 - Thursday

The LORD is close to the brokenhearted,
saves those whose spirit is crushed.
Many are the troubles of the righteous,
but the LORD delivers him from them all. (Psalm 34:19-20 NABRE)

Another passage from Psalm 34, today's words offer hope and encouragement for anyone with a broken heart, a crushed spirit, or who seeks to live a life of virtue. We are reminded that as we face life's trials--and we are not immune to trials, the Lord delivers us from them.

I am not a patient sufferer! I don't naturally accept discomfort and hurt with grace and a good-natured perspective. No, I complain most of the time, perhaps proving the adage that misery loves company. This is something I work at, but struggle with. In truth, I don't suffer much, just poorly!

Lord, help me to change. Remind me that you are always with me. Grant me the encouragement and hope of the Psalm when I find myself suffering. Jesus, I trust in you. Help me to demonstrate that by my outlook and attitude as the assaults of this life batter at times. Rather than complaining about how unjust my suffering is, help me to join my small suffering with your sacrifice on the cross, as a way to pray for the needs of others. Lord Jesus, when my heart breaks, accept my trust on behalf of the lukewarm soul. When my spirit is crushed, accept my faith in you as a prayer for the one who forgets you. And when I manage to act in virtue, accept my humble offering for the one struggling under the often-unrecognized difficult burden of this life.


Today, on this second Thursday of the Easter season, I will seek simplicity, trusting and hoping in the many promises of the Lord.


Saint Bernadette Soubirous, to whom the Blessed Virgin Mary appeared at Lourdes, France in 1858, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment