Wednesday, April 29, 2015

April 29, 2015 - Wednesday

Jesus cried out and said, “Whoever believes in me believes not only in me but also in the one who sent me,
and whoever sees me sees the one who sent me.
I came into the world as light, so that everyone who believes in me might not remain in darkness. (John 12:44-46 NABRE)

Jesus had just ridden into Jerusalem on that fateful donkey. With so many around him who were still unsure what to think of him, and knowing he was nearly out of time, he continues to teach but with increased urgency.

So, what is it Jesus, the Son of God, says when he is pressed for time? He tells everyone who can hear him to believe in him!

Believe in Jesus. When you do, you believe also in God the Father who sent him. When you do, you gain the light that he brings and leave the darkness.

At an earlier time (8:12), Jesus described himself to the Pharisees as the Light of the World. Jesus the light of the world. He may have been referring to the four torches of the illumination of the temple as the light of joy, indicating that he himself replaces them.*

Lord Jesus, light of joy, light of the world, dispeller of darkness, I believe in you and the one who sent you. Thank you for coming to bring your light to me. Thank you for the joy of your presence in my heart.


Today, on this Wednesday of the fourth week of Easter, the Memorial of Saint Catherine of Siena, I will recall and be grateful for my Catholic education, which I received at a school which has the motto: See Christ in Others. Be Christ for Others.


Saint Catherine of Siena, who saw holiness as a goal to be sought over the course of a lifetime, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment