Tuesday, April 28, 2015

April 28, 2015 - Tuesday

So the Jews gathered around him and said to him, “How long are you going to keep us in suspense? If you are the Messiah, tell us plainly.”
Jesus answered them, “I told you and you do not believe. The works I do in my Father’s name testify to me.
But you do not believe, because you are not among my sheep. (John 10:24-26 NABRE)

Not long before Jesus made this statement to the Jews in the temple area during the Dedication feast, John recounts for us another time when he spoke to some Pharisees and others present with him in the temple area:
You belong to your father the devil and you willingly carry out your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning and does not stand in truth, because there is no truth in him. When he tells a lie, he speaks in character, because he is a liar and the father of lies.
But because I speak the truth, you do not believe me.
Can any of you charge me with sin? If I am telling the truth, why do you not believe me?
Whoever belongs to God hears the words of God; for this reason you do not listen, because you do not belong to God. (8:44-47)
Lord Jesus, let me hear your truth. Help me to listen for the words of God. Welcome my belief and do not release me to the father of lies. Help me to remember the words of Cardinal Newman, "No one is a martyr for a conclusion, no one is a martyr for an opinion; it is faith that makes martyrs."


Today, on this Tuesday of the fourth week of Easter, I will listen faithfully for the words of God in my own day and circumstance.


Saint Peter Chanel, martyr and patron of oceania, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment