Thursday, June 18, 2015

June 18, 2015 - Thursday

If you forgive others their transgressions, your heavenly Father will forgive you.
But if you do not forgive others, neither will your Father forgive your transgressions. (Matthew 6:14-15 NABRE)

These verses reflect a set pattern called “Principles of Holy Law.” Human action now will be met by a corresponding action of God at the final judgment.* This pattern is seen in a number of other books of the Bible including Matthew (chapter 18, verse 35), Sirach (28:1-5), Mark (11:25), and James (2:13).

We all know the Our Father. It is one of the first prayers most of us learned as children because Jesus specifically taught us to pray this way. When you think about it, the final portion of the prayer is a request that we be spared at the final judgment, and it includes the way by which this will be possible: By our forgiving others. Today's verses are the two statements which immediately follow the Our Father. They emphasize this aspect of the prayer.

It is worth recognizing that forgiveness and trust are different things. We are called to forgive others, but we are not commanded to suddenly trust someone who has caused us harm. Trust that is broken, if it will be restored, will take time and commitment.

Lord, please give me a forgiving heart. Whenever I am hurt, let my heart be like your own, which I have hurt so many times and which offers me endless forgiveness. Lord, let forgiveness be the foundation on which my relationships are built. Let me see only your face when I look at those around me. And disarm me of any desire for vengeance, fairness, or justice. Replace this desire with a sense of love, sacrifice, and patience.


Today, I will forgive others who have wronged me. I will not withhold my forgiveness from them. I will forgive myself too, for the times I have wronged myself. I will not withhold my forgiveness from myself.


Venerable Matt Talbot, considered the patron of alcoholics, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment