Tuesday, June 23, 2015

June 23, 2015 - Tuesday

“Do to others whatever you would have them do to you. This is the law and the prophets. (Matthew 7:12 NABRE)

Jesus' summarizes much of the law in what has come to be called the Golden Rule. However, we need to be careful not to misinterpret its intent. So many of us develop a shell of self-protection as children that it is easy to fall into a sort of situational relativism. What do I mean by this? Have you ever heard someone excuse their own misdeed by explaining that it is alright because, "I wouldn't mind if someone did the same to me?"

Through the years, I've seen many examples of this and, unfortunately, been responsible for too many of them myself. The examples become the norm. The comment that should have gone unsaid, but didn't. Or the joke that should have gone untold, but wasn't. Let's seek to change our hearts with God's help.

Lord Jesus, you alone can change a heart. I submit my heart to you, with all my pains, hurts, disappointments, sorrows, and longings. Please heal my heart so that I might become strong enough to risk injury. Please enlighten my mind with recognition so that I might do to others only what my most honest self would have them do to me. Lord, help me change my thinking wherever it is contrary to your will, and help me catch myself before--rather than after--I hurt someone, and replace my words of hurt with your words of peace, encouragement, and hope.


Today, I will consider my treatment of others as to whether or not I would want them to treat me in the same manner, and I will change myself whenever necessary.


Saint John Fisher, defender of the faith, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment