Wednesday, June 24, 2015

June 24, 2015 - Wednesday

The word of the LORD came to me:
Before I formed you in the womb I knew you,
before you were born I dedicated you,
a prophet to the nations I appointed you.
“Ah, Lord GOD!” I said,
“I do not know how to speak. I am too young!”
But the LORD answered me,
Do not say, “I am too young.”
To whomever I send you, you shall go;
whatever I command you, you shall speak. (Jeremiah 1:4-7 NABRE)

God gave each of us a specific purpose. He knew us before we were born and dedicated each of us to that purpose. And so often, as it unfolds during the course of our lives, we resist the call. We make excuses and proclaim our shortcomings to avoid God's work, yet it is fear and the desire to determine our own purpose that holds us back.

Trust in God. Put fear aside. Welcome the purpose chosen for you by the one who formed you. God himself has appointed you for a unique role in his creation. Seek his purpose for your life and embrace it with joy and peace. Cast aside your fear and doubt, your ego and pride.

Lord God, open my ears to hear your whispered call to me. Open my eyes to see your purpose for my life. Take away my fear and doubt so that I may, with boldness and certainty, live out my days in the manner you appointed for me so long ago. Lord, my God, I do not know the path you have chosen for me. When I look forward I am blind. When I look backward, I see the route I've taken, but it only hints at my purpose. Light my way with your Spirit, so the path beneath me is clear, that I may step firmly this day, unconcerned about where you are leading.

Today, I will open my heart to God's direction for my life, even in the face of my own fears.


Saint John the Baptist, whose attitude toward Jesus was: “He must increase; I must decrease,” pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment