Monday, June 8, 2015

June 8, 2015 - Monday

About [Christ] I will boast, but about myself I will not boast, except about my weaknesses.
Although if I should wish to boast, I would not be foolish, for I would be telling the truth. But I refrain, so that no one may think more of me than what he sees in me or hears from me because of the abundance of the revelations. Therefore, that I might not become too elated, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, an angel of Satan, to beat me, to keep me from being too elated.
Three times I begged the Lord about this, that it might leave me, but he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness.” I will rather boast most gladly of my weaknesses, in order that the power of Christ may dwell with me.
Therefore, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and constraints, for the sake of Christ; for when I am weak, then I am strong. (2 Corinthians 12:5-9 NABRE)

When I struggle with my own demon, when I just can't seem to get past my weakness, when that bad habit just won't let me alone, when I keep falling into that bad behavior, I become just like Saint Paul!

Each one of us can do what Paul did! And the heart of what he did is listen to God who told him, and indeed tells each of us, "My grace is sufficient for you, for [my] power is made perfect in [your] weakness."


Today, I will submit my weakness to God, allowing his power to become perfect by that weakness, and admitting to myself that his grace is sufficient to carry me through.


Saint William of York, who, despite all that happened to you, did not show resentment toward your opponents, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment