Wednesday, June 3, 2015

June 3, 2015 - Wednesday

You are righteous, Lord,
and all your deeds are just;
All your ways are mercy and fidelity;
you are judge of the world.
And now, Lord, be mindful of me
and look with favor upon me.
Do not punish me for my sins,
or for my inadvertent offenses,
or for those of my ancestors. (Tobit 3:2-3 NABRE)

The book of Tobit is the story of a devout and wealthy Israelite living among the captives deported to Nineveh from the Northern Kingdom of Israel in 722/721 B.C. The main character, Tobit, endures many misfortunes in his life and ultimately utters a beautiful hymn of praise before he dies.*

For Tobit, prayer is significant and comes at significant points in his life.*

Tobit is a fictional character who, nevertheless, captures some great truths about us humans and our weak condition, as well as about God and his authority and compassion.

Lord God, you alone are mighty, good, and worthy of praise. Please extend to me your mercy and compassion rather than your justice when dealing with my offenses. For the sake of Jesus' sorrowful passion, have mercy on me and on the whole world.


Today, I will pray the Chaplet of Divine Mercy.


Saints Charles Lwanga and Companions, Ugandan martyrs who remained courageous and unshakable in faith during times of great moral and physical temptation, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment