Wednesday, January 20, 2016

January 20, 2016 - Wednesday

David continued: “The same LORD who delivered me from the claws of the lion and the bear will deliver me from the hand of this Philistine.” Saul answered David, “Go! the LORD will be with you.” (1 Samuel 17:37 NABRE)

Before confronting Goliath, we are given this glimpse of the young David's total confidence in God's saving power. David trusted God completely with his life. There was no wiggle room here. He had no lukewarm belief. We all know the story, but we don't typically pause to recognize the deeply-held faith which David had in his Lord. And the Lord was faithful to David, delivering him from the hand of Goliath despite impossible odds.

How strong is our faith? When our battles against all kinds of evil appear unwinnable, do we run boldly toward the fight as David did, certain that the Lord is our protection and our strength? Rather than pull back in fear, do we join David in song?
Blessed be the LORD, my rock,
who trains my hands for battle,
my fingers for war;
My safeguard and my fortress,
my stronghold, my deliverer,
My shield, in whom I take refuge,
who subdues peoples under me. 
Of course, our battles may or may not be against soldiers and armies. Our battles may unfold in personal ways, even in the arena of our own will, on the battlefield of our own mind. Our battles may be against ourselves, when our physical nature wages war against our spiritual selves. But regardless of the war we fight, when we align ourselves with God and trust in him, we cannot lose, even in defeat according to terms of this world. May our God, the same Lord of David, protect us in battle and be our fortress against the army of evil.


Today, I will run toward my spiritual battles, ignoring the odds, confident in God's protection and strength.


Saint Sebastian, patron of athletes, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment