Thursday, February 11, 2016

February 11, 2016 - Thursday

Then [Jesus] said to all, “If anyone wishes to come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.
For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it. (Luke 9:23-24 NABRE)

Luke adds the word "daily" to this saying of Jesus. By so doing, he removes the saying from a context that envisioned the imminent suffering and death of the disciple of Jesus (as does the saying in Mark 8:34–35) to one that focuses on the demands of daily Christian existence.*

Dear Lord, you have shown me how to follow you and it does not happen easily for me! Help me to challenge myself each day, to disrupt my own thinking and inclinations, and to push through my desire for self-protection. Denying myself requires a crystal clear choice based on a firm and resolute faith. Grant me, by your Spirit, the courage and discernment to make these choices throughout the day which lead me toward you, even when it means difficulty for me. For I know you are always with me.


Today, I will take up my cross, recognizing the demands of daily Christian living.


Our Lady of Lourdes, patroness of those suffering bodily ills, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment