Tuesday, February 9, 2016

February 9, 2016 - Tuesday

He responded, “Well did Isaiah prophesy about you hypocrites, as it is written:
‘This people honors me with their lips,
but their hearts are far from me;
In vain do they worship me,
teaching as doctrines human precepts.’
You disregard God’s commandment but cling to human tradition.”
He went on to say, “How well you have set aside the commandment of God in order to uphold your tradition! (Mark 7:6-9 NABRE)

Jesus had harsh words for the religious leaders of his day. They had drifted away from the spirit of God's laws, misled by the traditions that had grown up around them. And so, what likely began out of good intention, changed with time into something far from the original intent.

Lord Jesus, thank you for reminding me of the importance of understanding our traditions in the light of your commands. May I always look to our long-established traditions to see how they reflect the will of the Father. When I don't understand or agree with our tradition, lead me to study its history, how it was established, and why it has endured. And may I accept our traditions as I learn to better understand them.


Today, I will examine places in my life where I cling to human tradition while disregarding God's commandment.


Saint Jerome Emiliani, patron of orphans and abandoned children, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment