Friday, February 19, 2016

February 19, 2016 - Friday

You say, “The LORD’s way is not fair!” Hear now, house of Israel: Is it my way that is unfair? Are not your ways unfair?
When the just turn away from justice to do evil and die, on account of the evil they did they must die.
But if the wicked turn from the wickedness they did and do what is right and just, they save their lives. (Ezekiel 18:25-27 NABRE)

For many of us, it is really difficult to accept our individual responsibility. In fact, as I write this, I find it difficult to think that I am one of those who is unfair, who turns away from justice, who does evil things. I do not like to think of my personal culpability. I'd rather blame someone else, even God, for my bad choices. Instead, I prefer to think positively about myself, that I am fair and fair minded, that I avoid doing evil things, and that I do what is right and just.

But Lord, how is it that I am so often deceived--most often deceived about myself? Lord, grant me sight so that I might come to recognize my true shortcomings, so that I might change those attitudes, beliefs, and habits which draw me farther and farther away from you. Lead me away from evil choices that lead to death. Lead me toward right choices, toward the just decisions which lead to life in your presence.


Today, I will remember my individual responsibility to choose what is right and just.


Saint Conrad of Piacenza, who reminds us of the greatness of God and of the joys of heaven, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment