Friday, February 5, 2016

February 5, 2016 - Friday

With his every deed he offered thanks
to God Most High, in words of praise.
With his whole heart he loved his Maker
and daily had his praises sung;
He added beauty to the feasts
and solemnized the seasons of each year
With string music before the altar,
providing sweet melody for the psalms
So that when the Holy Name was praised,
before daybreak the sanctuary would resound. (Sirach 47:8-10 NABRE)

The Book of Sirach was written in Hebrew in the early years of the second century B.C., finished about 175. The text was translated into Greek by the author’s grandson, Yeshua, after 117 B.C. Yeshua also wrote a foreword which contains valuable information about the book, its author, and himself as translator. We know that this book, The Wisdom of Ben Sira, got its title from the author, “Yeshua [Jesus], son of Eleazar, son of Sira” (50:27). A large portion of Sirach contains a eulogy of the heroes of Israel, including King David, the subject of today's compelling passage.(44:1–50:24)*

Lord God, let me emulate David's constant habit of giving you thanks. I want to be consciously grateful in every moment of my day. Let me offer you words of praise throughout each day. I want to open my heart to you entirely as David did. May the many expressions of my joy and confidence in you add beauty to my world, solemnize my world, and cause the places I spend my day to resound with reminders of your presence.


Today, I will give thanks and praise to the Lord.


Saint Agatha, virgin, martyr, and patroness of nurses, foundry workers, and against breast disease, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment