Saturday, February 6, 2016

February 6, 2016 - Saturday

Now, LORD, my God, you have made me, your servant, king to succeed David my father; but I am a mere youth, not knowing at all how to act—
I, your servant, among the people you have chosen, a people so vast that it cannot be numbered or counted.
Give your servant, therefore, a listening heart to judge your people and to distinguish between good and evil. For who is able to give judgment for this vast people of yours?” (1 Kings 3:7-9 NABRE)

Solomon was the son of King David. He became king after his father and has since been remembered for his great wisdom. Today's passage illustrates how much like his father Solomon was.

The Lord appeared to Solomon in a dream and said, "Whatever you ask I shall give you." As we read, Solomon does not ask the Lord for a long life, riches, or the destruction of his many enemies. Instead, he asks God for discernment to know what is right. And God granted this and more.


Today, I will thank God for his Spirit, who provides each of us with discernment to know what is right.


Saint Paul Mika and Companions, 26 faith-filled souls who became martyrs in Japan in 1597, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment