Sunday, June 12, 2016

June 12, 2016 - Sunday

Blessed is the one whose fault is removed,
whose sin is forgiven.
Blessed is the man to whom the LORD imputes no guilt,
in whose spirit is no deceit.

Because I kept silent, my bones wasted away;
I groaned all day long.
For day and night your hand was heavy upon me;
my strength withered as in dry summer heat.

Then I declared my sin to you;
my guilt I did not hide.
I said, “I confess my transgression to the LORD,”
and you took away the guilt of my sin.

Therefore every loyal person should pray to you
in time of distress.
Though flood waters threaten,
they will never reach him. (Psalm 32:1b-6 NABRE)

When we act contrary to God's will, we know it. How fast we are to turn around the guilt, to deny it is real or worth our attention, and even to laugh it off. But we know what is not right or good. And especially when we are responsible for doing, thinking, or saying what is wrong, we are too skilled at dodging our own need to repent, to step into light, to look into the mirror with both eyes open.

And before long we stop trying. We grow numb. We forget--mostly--that God is with us each moment, as near as our next breath, within.

And we forget he aches to reconnect with us. We grow callous and doubt he wants to bother with us anymore. We reduce our value in our own eyes to the worst of our poor choices, but God never does that. Never sees us as less than his children. We tell ourselves, "God could never forgive what I've done so I won't turn to him, I won't admit my human fault, I won't fall at his feet like King David and ask for his forgiveness and help...."

...Until we remember we can't do this alone. Until we remember our Lord who carries us at our most desperate moments. Until we risk the shame....

...And God answers in love.


Today, I will pray in the face of my distress, admitting my own guilt to the Lord seeking his pardon.


Blessed Jolenta (Yolanda) of Poland, who used material means to assist the poor, the sick, widows, and orphans, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment