Monday, June 27, 2016

June 27, 2016 - Monday

But to the wicked God says:
“Why do you recite my commandments
and profess my covenant with your mouth?
You hate discipline;
you cast my words behind you!
If you see a thief, you run with him;
with adulterers you throw in your lot.
You give your mouth free rein for evil;
you yoke your tongue to deceit.
You sit and speak against your brother,
slandering your mother’s son. (Psalm 50:16-20 NABRE)

Psalm 50 actually presents us with what we can think of as two aspects of God's personality: His merciful and his wrathful sides. For example, in the two verses just prior to today's passage, addressed to his people, he says:
Offer praise as your sacrifice to God;
fulfill your vows to the Most High.
Then call on me on the day of distress;
I will rescue you, and you shall honor me.” (Psalm 50:14-15)
The distinction is worth paying attention to. God recognizes those who make decisions to live their days following his guidance and adhering to his words. He also acknowledges, sadly no doubt, those who choose instead to follow their own counsel, ignoring God and harming others in whatever ways apply.


Today, I will offer praise to God and seek to fulfill my responsibilities to him.


Saint Cyril of Alexandria, who tells us that "the meeting ground between God and man is the flesh of Christ," pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment