Wednesday, June 8, 2016

June 8, 2016 - Wednesday

Elijah approached all the people and said, “How long will you straddle the issue? If the LORD is God, follow him; if Baal, follow him.” But the people did not answer him. (1 Kings 18:21 NABRE)

Elijah was a prophet who lived about 900 years before Jesus, during the reign of King Ahab.* His challenge to the people of Israel--who at the time seem to have accepted belief in a Canaanite god named Baal in addition to belief in God--reaches across the millennia and convicts my heart.

The people of Israel, the chosen people of the one true God, had come to accommodate the culture around them. And in doing so, they went too far by putting some of their faith in a false god. They began to trust a man-made god to meet their needs.

How often do I do the same? And who or what gods do I make for myself? Do I put my trust in my own abilities? Doesn't that set me up as a god? Do I have faith in money or power as a means to what I want or need? Doesn't that trickle away from the trust I profess to have in the Lord's provision?


Today, I will consider in what ways I can trust the Lord more completely, and remove any false idols from my life.


Saint William of York, who did not show resentment after so many turned on you, pray for us.

Source: http://catholicsaints.info/elijah-the-prophet/


No comments:

Post a Comment