Sunday, June 19, 2016

June 19, 2016 - Sunday

Then [Jesus] said to all, “If anyone wishes to come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.
For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it. (Luke 9:23-24 NABRE)

This is so counter-intuitive. Of course I want to preserve my life! When we understand the promise of eternal life, we gain the desire for it and the motivation to do whatever needs to be done in order to gain it. And it is the "demands of daily Christian existence"* to which Jesus calls our attention.

But what did Jesus mean when he told his disciples to deny themselves? What did he mean when he said to take up their cross daily? What did he actually mean when he told them to follow him? What did he mean when he said they have to lose their lives for his sake? And what does that mean for us?

Jesus, like your disciples, you call me to join you in sacrificing for others. By doing this, I learn to deny my natural inclination, which is to put my personal needs, wants, and desires first and above all else. Instead, you call me to subjugate these to the needs of others. Jesus, you call me to maintain my conviction of faith even against the gravest of threats. By doing this, I come to the end of my own strength and encounter your Spirit. Jesus, I trust in you. 


Today, I will deny myself, take up my cross, and follow Jesus.


Saint Romuald, whose life reminds us to be totally open to God in our own particular circumstances, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment