Thursday, June 30, 2016

June 30, 2016 - Thursday

The law of the LORD is perfect,
refreshing the soul.
The decree of the LORD is trustworthy,
giving wisdom to the simple.
The precepts of the LORD are right,
rejoicing the heart.
The command of the LORD is clear,
enlightening the eye.
The fear of the LORD is pure,
enduring forever.
The statutes of the LORD are true,
all of them just;
More desirable than gold,
than a hoard of purest gold,
Sweeter also than honey
or drippings from the comb. (Psalm 19:8-11 NABRE)

I have spent my "spiritual" years looking for ways to opt out of those rules I find challenging. I have been glad to follow certain rules because they were not difficult for me. And so, today's passage from Psalm 19 is a sharp reminder that I've probably spent pretty much all of my time foolishly!

Why would I try to avoid what is perfect, trustworthy, right, clear, pure, and true? Why wouldn't I want to experience deep refreshment of my soul or great wisdom? What point is there in trying to sidestep joy and enlightenment that is enduring and has been compared to pure gold and the sweetness of fresh honey?

Why indeed.


Today, I will respectfully recognize that if any of what the Lord calls me to is good and true, then all of it is good and true.


First Martyrs of the Church of Rome, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment