Saturday, June 4, 2016

June 4, 2016 - Saturday

For the time will come when people will not tolerate sound doctrine but, following their own desires and insatiable curiosity, will accumulate teachers and will stop listening to the truth and will be diverted to myths.
But you, be self-possessed in all circumstances; put up with hardship; perform the work of an evangelist; fulfill your ministry. (2 Timothy 4:3-5 NABRE)

In such a political season as this--when inflammatory rhetoric distracts from substance and self-serving lies replace leadership for the common good, today's passage reminds me that I "have a lifelong obligation to form [my] conscience in accord with human reason, enlightened by the teaching of Christ as it comes to us through the Church."*

In a very practical way, I need to begin to consider which Presidential candidate I will vote for in November. But where to begin? The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops has published a helpful page on forming conscience for faithful citizenship. This page has links to several helpful documents including one entitled Making Moral Choices and Applying Our Principles.

Bluntly, it is my civic and social obligation to see through the myths and find a way to vote based on principle.

As a follower of Jesus Christ, I am called to keep focused on God's truth, to reflect on sound doctrine, and to apply my faithful understanding of these to my civic involvement.

I did a web search of "catholic voter guide 2016" (which I hoped would return lists of issues important to my faith along with the various candidate positions on each issue). The search returned some interesting results.

Finally, here is a list of top issues for Catholic voters to consider. I hope these references will help you prayerfully and thoughtfully consider your voting choices during the coming months.


Today, on this Memorial of the Immaculate Heart of the Blessed Virgin Mary, I will pray for peace in our country and in this world.


Blessed Angeline of Marsciano, founder of the first community of Franciscan women, other than Poor Clares, to receive papal approval, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment