Monday, August 1, 2016

August 1, 2016 - Monday

And he ordered the crowds to sit down on the grass. Taking the five loaves and the two fish, and looking up to heaven, he said the blessing, broke the loaves, and gave them to the disciples, who in turn gave them to the crowds.
They all ate and were satisfied, and they picked up the fragments left over—twelve wicker baskets full.
Those who ate were about five thousand men, not counting women and children. (Matthew 14:19-21 NABRE)

The feeding of the five thousand is the only miracle of Jesus that is recounted in all four gospels. The principal reason for that may be that it was seen as anticipating the Eucharist and the final banquet in the kingdom, but it looks not only forward but backward, to the feeding of Israel with manna in the desert at the time of the Exodus, a miracle that in some contemporary Jewish expectation would be repeated in the messianic age. It may also be meant to recall Elisha’s feeding a hundred men with small provisions.*

Lord Jesus, thank you for pointing me to the abundant love and provision of our Father. Help me always, and in each moment of this day, to remember that I do not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes forth from the mouth of God. (Matthew 4:4) The Father does not want me to worry about things of this world. He does not want me to be anxious or afraid. Instead, I am called to trust in God, to accept his graciousness, and to seek His will. I am called to share my experience with others so that they might see in my story the proof and encouragement they need to grow in their own faith.


Today, on this Memorial of Saint Alphonsus Liguori, Bishop and Doctor of the Church, I will trust in the Lord.


Saint Alphonsus Liguori, patron of vocations and theologians, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment