Sunday, August 28, 2016

August 28, 2016 - Sunday

My son, conduct your affairs with humility,
and you will be loved more than a giver of gifts.
Humble yourself the more, the greater you are,
and you will find mercy in the sight of God.
For great is the power of the Lord;
by the humble he is glorified.
What is too sublime for you, do not seek;
do not reach into things that are hidden from you.
What is committed to you, pay heed to;
what is hidden is not your concern.
In matters that are beyond you do not meddle,
when you have been shown more than you can understand.
Indeed, many are the conceits of human beings;
evil imaginations lead them astray. (Sirach 3:17-24 NABRE)

Jesus puts it this way, Whoever exalts himself will be humbled; but whoever humbles himself will be exalted." (Matthew 23:12)

Saint Paul puts it this way, "For by the grace given to me I tell everyone among you not to think of himself more highly than one ought to think, but to think soberly, each according to the measure of faith that God has apportioned." (Romans 12:3)

Humility gives you a true estimate of yourself, so that you will do what should be done, and avoid what is beyond your understanding and strength. Intellectual pride, however, leads you astray.*

Lord, help me to be humble and not to think more of myself than I should. Help me to remember that I am part of something larger than myself. I am a member of your body. Rather than allowing frustration to overcome me at times when I cannot achieve what I set myself to--and this happens more often than I would like, help me to realize there are other matters which have been committed to me, and to which I should give my attention.


Today, I will pray for discernment to identify occasions when I lean too much on my own understanding.


Saint Augustine of Hippo, whose life reminds us of the need to scrap escapisms and stand face-to-face with personal responsibility and dignity, pray for us.


There are just 17 days remaining in this shared prayer journey of ours. Please continue to join your prayers with mine here, for a daily minute of reflection. As Jesus said, "For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them." (Matthew 18:20) Though we gather together online, may our joining here reflect our deep desire to have Jesus in our midst.

No comments:

Post a Comment