Wednesday, August 3, 2016

August 3, 2016 - Wednesday

Fear seized them all, and they glorified God, exclaiming, “A great prophet has arisen in our midst,” and “God has visited his people.” (Luke 7:16 NABRE)

After journeying to a city called Nain, and with a large crowd as witnesses, upon seeing the funeral procession of a widow's only son, Jesus brought him back to life.

I have attended too many wakes and funerals, some with hundreds of other people. I sometimes imagine what it would be like to see Jesus walk into the room and call out to the deceased that he should rise up! And to see the person sit up and begin to speak. I admit that to our Western, modern sensibilities, this sounds more like something out of a horror story than an imagining of scripture, but it is one way to place ourselves into the story of the widow's son as told by Saint Luke.

Lord Jesus, you have power over death. When I remember that I am spirit with a physical aspect, it is not so difficult to recognize that you will one day raise me from the dead. I thank you for hope. There will come a time when I shed this shell of a body, freed from these bonds, to live in your presence. I thank you for helping me to remember there is an eternal perspective I can take on the many difficulties this earthly life brings. May your Spirit dwell close to my own, leading me as I journey on my path back to you.


Today, I will remember that Jesus has power over death.


Saint Peter Julian Eymard, who knew that the Eucharist was key to helping Catholics live out their Baptism, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment